Sunday, July 09, 2006

Who’s your penguin?

When I was a kid, my only idea of a “penguin” was of that short, fat and balding villain from the cartoon series of “Batman”. Yeah, funny right? It was not until I reached the age of 6 that I found out what penguins really look like. Since then, I’ve fallen I love with them. I even begged my mom to buy me one, which I now realize must have seemed foolish of me! aha! I am not really a huge fan of penguins; all I know is that I fancy them.

When I grew up, I had a huge collection of dolls and teddy bears—no penguins in sight. But my affection for them remained. I’ve had notebooks with penguin prints, and I had this really cute pink nightgown with a huge penguin picture in the middle. And every time I see penguin stuff toys, I totally drool over them. It’s just my bad luck that mom buys me bears…hehe! :P

Aside from being cute and funny-looking creatures, I’ve come to really appreciate the penguins after watching a documentary about them. It was one really informative and heart-tugging documentary. But what caught my interest most was the way penguins form monogamous relationships. Yes, penguins mate for life! They form monogamous pairs that last for a lifetime! Isn’t it amazing? I’ve been so amazed by the dedication these creatures give to their spouses

Penguins go through courtship, mating, nesting, and the incubation period on land. During this time, which can last over 100 days in some species, many penguins do not return to the sea to feed, and some species can lose up to 30 percent of their body mass. After the baby is born the penguins share all responsibilities for the new baby. Parents alternate brooding with trips to the sea to obtain food for the chicks. In Adélie, chinstrap, and gentoo penguins, parents share brooding duties equally with changeovers every one to two days. The males in the crested penguins and the females in the emperor penguins perform all brooding duties.

Their dedication to the art of courtship and the conception and birth of their children drives them to abstain from eating for up to 100days. What could be a more heartfelt display of the love for one’s spouse and family?

Sad to say, these days, only a few people realize the importance of monogamous relationships and family. We hear a lot of news about separation, divorce, adultery, broken-families and abused children. We hear of fathers not playing his role as a father, of mothers forsaking their children, of mothers trading their children for cash, of parents breaking up, of husbands beating their wives, of cheaters, of shameless children. What ever happened to fidelity? Whatever happened to respect?

Some people just don’t realize the importance of fidelity as a penguin does. The penguin may not know anything about taxes, about the latest trends, technology and stuffs, but it does know one virtue which some of us fail to uphold—loyalty.

 Some may say that it is hard to remain faithful to someone, as each passage of time wears out the feelings you have for that person.
That is an excuse of a foolish person. It is not hard to be loyal to your spouse/partner. All it takes is each other’s efforts to work out
the relationship. Both should keep the fire burning. Marriage is a lifetime commitment, and I am saddened at the prospect that some people
regard marriage as just some cheap boredom-breaker. I am disgusted by the fact that some people, who are afraid to grow old single,
rush into things and get married without even thinking.

think that we should set the penguins as an example when it comes to keeping relationships. They maybe just simple
creatures, but they taught me a lot and so much more. We should each be loyal to our own “penguins”. As loyalty begets trust

 So, who's your penguin?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home